Friday 29 July 2011

"So are you ready?"

So are you ready?  This is the question I'm being frequently asked, now that I've finished all my 'big' training.  I answer this question by saying "I guess...I hope!".

The Peak period of my training has been done and I'm now in Taper.  The race in Copenhagen is just over 2 weeks away and it's starting to feel very real.

During Peak, I managed to do two 100 mile bike rides, one in strong winds and rain (which, as we all know, I'm used to by now but still get mightily cross by!).  I also did a 73 mile ride along the up and down roads of North Pembrokeshire, followed by an hour's brick run.  Two long runs - one 2.5 and one 3 hour and a handful of threshold runs here and there.  One 3.2k lake swim, one 3k swim (6x500m) in Cardiff's 50m pool and my usual BadTri club sessions during the week.  I'm quite happy with all that.

A few days into taper and I can certainly feel by body crying out for some downtime!  I went for a sports massage the other day and some of my muscles felt quite different....and not good different.  I usually like having my calf muscles massaged but this time it felt torturous.  Being hit from behind whilst sat in a car at red lights a few weekends back hasn't helped ease the knots in my back either!  Fair play though, my body's done well to withstand the miles and hours of training.

So, for the next couple of weeks, I need to keep ticking over, doing short, sharp sessions and enjoy having more time to do 'normal' stuff at the weekends. 

I'll check back to blogworld in the week leading up to the Big Race!

No comments:

Post a Comment