Wednesday 1 June 2011

Massive Week

Last week was my biggest week of training to date and that's without including the Swashbuckler half-iron distance on the Sunday (not technically in the same week but close enough!). 

I managed a grand total of 15 hours and 3 minutes which included:

Swimming - 2h42 (6.8km)
Cycling - 7h57 (157.7km)
Running - 3h01 (26km)
Gym - 1h21

The highlight (or more like lowlight) of the week was Saturday morning's ride to Monmouth and back.  It's been pretty much non stop windy for the last month and I've had enough of battling through it.  Andrea, Pete and I set off early at 7am in the drizzle and wind.  I didn't have high hopes for a great ride.  Cycling over the old Severn Bridge was an experience.  Being picked up by the wind and thrown into the bubbling, brown water of the world's second largest tidal estuary below wouldn't have been pleasant but I managed to stay on the road. 

Once over the bridge the weather improved and it was enjoyable again.  There was a great decent into Monmouth and I got to push it on the aero bars to Tintern.  Approaching the Severn Bridge again it started to drizzle and the wind picked up.  Bleurgh.  Going back over the bridge was even scarier and once off it we had to endure newly gritted roads and a fierce headwind.  I had my whingey face on by now as we struggled on at 10mph. 

By the time I got home I was soaked through, covered in road scum and dishevelled.  I did manage a 15 minute brick run where I was pleased to find my legs didn't feel too bad after 80 windy miles.

I felt pretty pleased with myself on Sunday evening having managed to fit in an hour's lake swim, friend's BBQ and an 85 minute run......I woke up Monday morning feeling like a ragdoll but it was rest day therefore a lie in was in order.

And so I'm now on recovery week and eagerly anticipating the Pyrenees Training Camp which we're heading off to this Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment